The first area on the left bank of the Danube river, as soon as the Pancevo bridge is crossed, is Krnjaca. The first inhabitans in Krnjaca were pastoralists, from neigborhood villages from Banat. They brought their livestock to graze, and began to settle this area in 1913. Although they built huts from reed and clay on the frequently flooded area, they stayed here. This area started drawing greater attention when in 1929 land development started. A significant settling of Krnjaca began with workers who worked on the dykes and drainage of the canals.