Tasmajdan where many historical events took place, is also the central city park, beautifully decorated with many amenities for children and young people. Tasmajdan name cames from Turkish word "Tas" - meaning stone and word "Quarry" - meaning mine. From here stone was cleaving since the ancient times. The evidence for that are the sarcophags of the Romans inhabitants of the town, which inhabited area 2000 years ago.
Tasmajdan park was built in 1954. The project for the park was created by architect Aleksandar Djordjevic and Radomir Stupar, a greening plan has done an engineer, Vladeta Djordjevic. Space Tasmajdan park was also used for the exhibition of sculptures after which many of them werw retained therein. So today in the park are works such as "Ascender" by Mira Sandic; "The Slide" by sculptor Save Sandici; "Phlox forma" work of Milija Glisic, "Golden Forest" work of Mira Jurisic, "Lying act" by Angeline Gatalica; "Associative figure" and "Woman sitting" by Ivana Sabolic and "Housing" Ratko Vulanovic. "Don Quixote" by sculptor John Soldatovic is set at the beginning of the nineties. "Desanka Maksimovic" monument, the work of Svetlana Karovic - Deranic was discovered 2007.
Tasmajdan caves, recently opened to the public are hidding history of Belgrade from 2000. years ago till present day. During WWII they were used as bomb shelters and as one of the first modern underground shelters in the Belgrade. Today represents monument to the past times, and sumptuous space of the city.
At Tasmajdan park and around it are located the church of Saint Marko (new, built in 1931-1936), the Russian Church (1924), General Post Office (1934), hotels "Tash" and "Metropol Palace", "Madera" restaurant, Radio-Television Serbia, the Seismological Station, children's amusement park.