The prominent Serbian artist lived here with his family during the last five years of his life in Belgrade. He moved in in 1872, immediately after the city authorities renamed this quarter from the Gypsy Mahala to Skadarska Street. At that time, he was the corrector of the "Sluzbene novine". Soon, he got promoted to the same position in the State Press. At the same address, at 34 Skadarska Street, a memorial with the figure of the great man who died here was established in 1925.