It was built in the period from 1882 to 1885, based on the railway stations of large European cities. The construction coincided with 1884 and the construction of the first Serbian railway from Belgrade to Nis. The first train set off on 20th August 1844. King Milan, Queen Natalija and Crown Prince Aleksandar Obrenovic were on it. At the time of construction, it was one of the most monumental buildings and symbols of the royal capital. It is a culture monument of great significance.