It was built during the great Austrian reconstruction of the Belgrade Fortress between 1718 and 1720. The goal was to make a safe powder shelter, a place protected from the enemy artillery. It was often called Odier’s powder magazine. This powder magazine is designed in such manner that a long hallway connects the two chambers. In the middle of the eighteenth century, the magazine was surrounded by a very strong protective wall. Since 1970, the first chamber of “Barutana” houses the National Museum’s Collection of Stone Monuments, assembled during the second half of the nineteenth century. The collection consists of stone Roman sarcophagi, gravestones and altars, as well as the monuments from the famous epochs (Cyrillic epigraphy, Turkish tombstones) which generally represent accidental findings originating Belgrade, Kostolac, Rudnik and other sites.