During the five centuries under Turkish slavery, the greatest insult was made to the Serbian people in 1594, when the Turkish invaders brought the body of Saint Sava, which rested in the Mileseva Monastery (died 1235), brought to Belgrade and burned it down on Vracar. Only a few decades after the definitive liberation from the Turkish occupation, in 1895, the hundred most prominent citizens of the then Belgrade, headed by Metropolitan Mihajlo, founded the Society for the Raising of the Temple of St. Sava in Vracar, at the site where his relics were burned.
The construction of the temple began in 1935, but the bombing of Belgrade by the Germans - on April 6, 1941, stopped building after laying the foundations and building of two walls, 7 and 11 meters high. By destroying the organization of the construction sites and the offices of the construction companies, the immigration of the German army car park into the space within the walls of the Temple and the robbery of the property of the Society froze any thoughts about the construction of the Temple. Society for raising the temple of St. Sava was no longer existent.
In 1958, Patriarch German renewed the idea of raising the temple. After 88 repeated requests and the same number of refusals, the building permit was obtained in the summer of 1984. The construction was restarted on August 12, 1985.
The greatest achievement was the elevation of the central dome of 4,000 tons. It was made on the ground, and then, together with a copper sheet cover and a large 12-meter high gold plated cross and heavy 4 tons, was raised and placed on the walls. The lift, which lasted 40 days, was completed on June 26, 1989.